Monday 10 December 2012

Who is my audience and how can I successfully target them?

I need to define my audience; this will help me with planning and creating a documentary. This will achieve a better product as I can make it to what they would like. By targeting a specific audience I can get feedback from the right people, so my production can grow so I can make a better product.

My suspected audience is people with borrowed interests. The audience theory this comes under is ‘uses and gratifications’. This means that the audience take part in something in the documentary so they are interested in it. In this case it is skiing. My audience is a niche audience in the UK. This is because skiing isn’t necessary a huge sport. As this is a niche market it will be hard to research information within this group. I think I will be able to cope with this as I’m a keen skier so I know the market and the right people in there to speak to about it.

I want to achieve by my target audience watching this work is that I hope that they’re entertained throughout the Documentary. I hope they also take something from the documentary, for example more information about the sport and the athletes. I also hope to get people who aren’t into skiing to watch it and give me feedback so I can reach a bigger market. 

1 comment:

  1. Charlie, you've mentioned your secondary audience, 'I also hope to get people who aren’t into skiing to watch it'. How do you intend to attract them to watch it? Where and who with?

    ReplyDelete